“Stay Safe“ at Broadoaks Country House
Minimising the risk of Covid-19
The welfare of our guests and our Broadoaks Team is always our first priority. We are continuously working hard to ensure safety protocols are met so that when you can visit us, you can do so feeling assured that we have in place all the precautions to minimise the spread of Covid-19 and keep you and your loved ones safe.
We have rethought and reworked our hotel operations. Extensive health & safety guidelines have been prepared and implemented and our teams have been trained, so we can get back to doing what we do best.
Latest GOV.UK August 8th 2020 update
It is now law that face masks are worn in ALL public areas of a hotel, so we kindly ask that you wear a mask when you are walking around our public areas when sitting to have a drink or something to eat, then the mask may be removed.
Safe to Trade Scheme
To ensure all of Broadoaks stated standards and protocols as defined by our recently updated risk assessments are adhered to, our standards and procedures are independently audited by Shield Safety Group Health and Safety Consultancy to ensure these remain over and above those required.
Safe to Trade Scheme purpose
The Safe to Trade Scheme (STTS) was launched in direct response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, to help businesses instil consumer and worker confidence that they can reopen and trade safely.
The Scheme will:
- Give the consumer and workforce the confidence that the business has been independently verified that it has gone above and beyond the Government guidance, and they have a system to continually monitor standards
- Allow consumers and workers to anonymously feedback and rate the performance of the businesses’ controls via the STTS rating webpage or online
- Create a Register of business names and addresses maintained by the Administrator – Shield Safety Group (SSG). The register can be provided to regulators, to assist in their requirement to risk rate businesses for official visits and focus on non-compliant businesses
- Use compliance software and app to conduct and record ongoing checks and monitoring of controls
- Enable the management of the business to undertake COVID-19 eLearning
- Access a COVID-19 Advice Line staffed by expert Environmental Health Practitioners who will provide practical advice and support
- Perform a self-assessment, including use of COVID-19 risk assessment template, that is independently verified
- Provide the standard for the business to be audited against the Safety Charter
- Provide a comprehensive certification pack to support the promotion of ‘approved’ status to customers and workers. The pack includes: a printed certificate, window stickers; plus a digitally registered certification marque
Enhanced Cleaning & Hygiene Protection
- Appropriate personal protective equipment will be worn by all of our team members and changed frequently.
- We have produced detailed cleaning checklists for each department, including the use of Public Health England-accredited sanitisers for all areas, including guest rooms and all of our back of house areas.
- Guest rooms will only be cleaned prior to your check-in and then again when you check out, if you need new towels or any bedding or would like your room serviced then please just call reception. All scatter cushions and curtains will be sprayed during each service with a non-chlorine-based disinfectant spray.
- All touchpoints in public areas such as door handles, countertops, tabletops, soft seating etc. will be sanitised throughout the day using accredited disinfectants and sanitising products.
- Most of our corridors and public toilets have now been fitted with auto lighting systems so that the lights don’t need to be switched on and off when entering the rooms, thus reducing touchpoints as much as possible.
- Protocols are in place for staff in our kitchen, restaurants, bar, and ALL food prep service areas to sanitise their hands every time they serve food or touch food-related items. We have even fitted moisturising cream now as their hands were getting so sore.
- All contractors and delivery persons entering our premises have access to hand sanitiser prior to entering our building and also for when they leave.
In our back-office kitchen preparation area and also in our main Oaks restaurant and Orangery we have fitted HyGenikx Air & Surface Hygiene Amplifiers.
HyGenikx is an advanced & compact, wall-mounted hygiene amplification system, proven to eradicate bacteria & viruses throughout the foodservice & hospitality environment. Utilising a combination of the most effective air & surface sterilisation technologies available, HyGenikx provides round-the-clock hygiene & safety protection.
- All of our staff have undergone certified classroom-based hospitality-focused training on how to prevent the contagion of Covid-19. In addition to this, they have been through a comprehensive internal training plan prior to our opening the premises.
- Some highlights include:
- A mandate to wash their hands thoroughly at least every hour with soap and water, and when entering or leaving any area around the hotel they will all make use of the hand sanitisers around the hotel or in the back-office areas.
- ALL staff have been issued with personal thermometers and will be required to take their temperature One hour before starting their shift.
- When staff arrive on-site, they will be asked to self-certify that they do not have a temperature nor have they been in contact with anyone with Covid-19 symptoms. Any staff member who shows or thinks that have symptoms will be immediately sent home and will be required to self-isolate for 14 days prior to returning to work.
- Where appropriate, adequate and effective PPE has been made available, training on how to dispose of any items has also been given.
- Hand sanitising stations are located at all entry and exit points back of house for the teams to use.
- All kitchen staff will work adhering to the current 1metre social distancing guidance, all back-office flooring, kitchen and prep areas and the staff break area have been suitably marked up to clearly show 1metre intervals for guidance
- Our Covid-19 operating procedures are also clearly displayed throughout the back of house areas.
- Our staff have all been allocated their own lockers for their personal effects and separate coat hanging areas defined by individual teams.
- Our outside staff break area has been marked up to show 1-metre distancing and also has had an outside sanitiser station fitted.
- Our internal staff break room has chairs spaced for social distancing.
- Staff are only allowed to take their breaks 2 persons at a time.
- They even have their own marked up cups and mugs for when they make a cup of tea.
- We politely request that if you are displaying any symptoms of Covid-19 that you do not enter our hotel. These include; A high temperature and a new and persistent cough.
- You will see signage on arrival and throughout the hotel detailing the guidelines we have in place to protect you and our teams. Any of our guests or visitors displaying Covid-19 symptoms may be asked to leave the premises.
- Please be kind to us: we are making every possible effort to make our environment safe for you and our other guests and we politely request that you assist us with our efforts. Guests breaching our policies may be politely reminded of their responsibilities especially if any behaviour is upsetting other guests. Any individuals persistently disregarding social distancing may be required to leave the property with immediate effect.
- Hand sanitising stations will be provided at all hotel entrances and in reception areas for you to use. we politely ask you use these before entering the hotel.
- Our check-in process has been streamlined to allow for a fast and reduced-contact experience.
Please also note: that we will only be accepting debit and credit cards for the foreseeable future, to avoid the handling of cash.
- We would advise guests to use their own bathroom facilities during their stay, we will, of course, be cleaning our public toilets every two hours.
- If you have any special requirements please let us know before you arrive so we can make the necessary preparations with everybody’s safety in mind.
- You can book your stay by calling our Hotel Reception We recommend before booking your stay that you read through these ‘Stay Safe at Broadoaks’ procedures to ensure you understand all the actions we have in place to keep you safe during your stay and minimise the risk of Covid-19 spreading.
- Your confirmation document will contain a URL link to this document so that you are always able to view the latest guidelines
- We also strongly recommend when available that you download the government-approved track and tracing application to ensure we are all alerted to any guests who may pose a risk of spreading Covid-19.
- Payment will be taken in full for your booking prior to your stay to minimise your time at our check-in when you arrive.
- If you have not booked directly with us you can find all the information relating to your forthcoming stay On our web site https://www.broadoakscountryhouse.co.uk/covid-19/
Arrival & Check-in
- We have added Perspex screens to our reception station as you can see, so we can all keep our distance.
- We would prefer it if only ONE person from your party come to reception to check-in, just to limit the number of guests in our hallway as it is not that big. We would advise that you leave your luggage in your car as well until you know what room you are staying in.
- During these times we have been advised against handling your luggage or belongings or showing you around the hotel or to your room. However, we are always happy to help and will ensure we do at your request with your safety in mind.
- All guests will be allocated the same table (shown by a table marker with your room name on it) for the duration of their stay for a cream tea, dinner and breakfast. If however, you would like to take cream tea in our music room or outside weather permitting, we would be delighted to reserve you a table, we would ask you to book it in advance for these areas.
- We have put markers where appropriate on the floor to show safe 1-metre distancing guidelines.
- If someone is checking in at reception, we would ask that you stand back and give them space.
- Please note we have a digital thermometer at reception, should you feel concerned at any point during your stay and would like us to take your temperature just come and see us or call our reception and we will come to your room and take your temperature.
- If you have any questions or need assistance during your stay simply dial 10 from the phone in your room.
Contactless Payment Policy
- We are operating on a NO CASH basis for the immediate future. All restaurants, bars and associated points of sale will utilise contactless payment methods.
- Items ordered during your stay can be billed to your room for payment on check out or simply paid by contactless payment as you go along.
Bathrooms & Bedrooms
- Every guest bedroom and en-suite will be fully sanitised before each stay. A door hanger will be placed on each guest room door to show this has taken place.
- Fabric items such as mattresses, pillows, cushions, carpet, chairs and other furniture will be sprayed with an approved sanitising solution, which is effective in killing Covid-19 but otherwise harmless to you and us.
- All surfaces are thoroughly wiped down and cleaned prior to your arrival.
- Linens, towels are professionally washed on high heat, with added sanitisation. All consumables are replaced before each stay.
- Any printed material has been laminated and will be sanitised before and after your stay.
- Our housekeeping teams undergo strict sanitisation prior to starting work and will wear the appropriate PPE during cleaning.
On check-in guests will be given a welcome letter containing the following points:
- Prior to your stay with us your guest room will be sanitised, our housekeepers will NOT attend your room again during your stay to service your room unless you request it.
- If you need new towels then simply place your old ones in the laundry bag you will find in your wardrobe and place it outside your door.
- If you need more tea/coffee sachets please let us know and we will deliver a sealed bag to your room. Any items that you do not use will be recycled after they have been stored for 72 hours.
- We have replaced the glasses in your room with wrapped disposable cups.
- The china mugs we provide for your tea, are cleaned by our high-temperature dishwasher after each stay.
- We have replaced the large 250ml bottles of our Noble Isle products with small miniatures
- If you have a SPA bath in your room you may find that it has been switched off – again apologies for this but due to government guidance on the use of spas, this is the guidance we have been given.
- Unless you are attending an exclusive hire function, we will designate you your own dining table for the duration of your stay – this will be marked up with your room name.
- You will notice all cups & glasses will be overturned on your tables when you dine with us.
- Your cutlery will be wrapped in napkins and turned over so that none of the surfaces is on show.
- All condiments e.g. salt, pepper & sugar are disposable.
- Our breakfast service is now fully waiter served.
- We also politely ask that you use your own bathroom facilities during your stay.
- Afternoon tea & Dinner dining times must be pre-booked as we need to stagger arrival times.
Bar & Restaurant, Music Room, Orangery, Hallway & Other Common Areas
- We have set up hand sanitising stations throughout the hotel at each room exit and entrance. We strongly encourage our guests to sanitise their hands when they walk past these stations.
- Extensive cleaning of shared surfaces will be conducted throughout the day by our ‘Clean Team’.
- All seating areas across bars and restaurants have been configured to ensure safe distancing is maintained in line with current government guidance. Tables, chairs and other surfaces will be sanitised after use.
- We have equipped our loos with sanitising sprays in the cubicles and sanitising handwash at the basins, and disposable hand towels.
- To avoid overcrowding in the washrooms, we ask that guests who are staying with us use their own bathrooms in their bedrooms.
- When walking through the hotel we will ask that you please use your discretion and consideration by keeping a social distance of a minimum of 1 to 2 meters between yourself and other guests. We have put in place floor markings and guidance signage throughout the hotel to assist.
- All guests are encouraged to take time to familiarise themselves with the regulations in place.
Food & Drink
- We are fortunate to have our Oaks restaurant & the Orangery adjacent to each other so when we have a full house, we will open up the room dividers to make one large area. You can dine with us feeling assured that we have in place precautions to minimise the spread of Covid-19 and keep you and your fellow diners safe.
- Menus will be disposable for afternoon tea; evening menus will be presented on a fully sanitised menu or if you don’t wish to handle a menu it will also be projected onto TV screens in the Music Room.
- We are restricting our NON-RESIDENT guests for:
- Afternoon tea to only 20 guests in total per sitting
- Evening dining to only 6 guests in total per sitting
- This will allow us to operate easily within the 1 metre recommended social distancing guidelines.
- Non-resident guests must book prior to arrival, they will be allocated tables at the far end of the Orangery and instructed to only use the rear toilets in the Orangery
- When you stay with us you will be designated a specific table for the duration of your stay. This will be pointed out to you on your arrival. We will confirm your preferred dining times during your stay when you check-in.
- We are able to offer flexible table configurations dependent upon your household size, and bookings must adhere to government current legislation.
- We recommend all diners download the track and tracing application to ensure we are all alerted to any guests who may pose a risk of spreading Covid-19.
- If you are displaying any of the symptoms of Covid-19 we ask that you call us to postpone your booking.
- For the foreseeable future, we will not offer our usual breakfast buffet, everything will be waiter served. On your arrival to your table you will be asked:
- What cereal & Toast you would like, along with a hot drink?
- We will then be back to take your order for a cooked breakfast.
- To maintain the social distancing guidelines, we will not be offering drinks at the bar, instead, we will offer a full table service throughout the hotel’s bars, restaurant and lounges.
- A bell is located at the bar for you to call a member of staff if you can’t find one to order a drink.
Spa & Health Club Facilities
Our usual “Special Corporate Membership” with The Spa at the Low Wood Bay is currently on hold due to COVID – 19 social distancing and managing of guest numbers.
We are devastated that this is the case, but for now, until things get back to normal, unfortunately, this is the case.
You may however still book a full day spa experience at the Spa at Low Wood Bay and receive a special 20% off Spa Experiences when staying with Broadoaks.
The Low Wood Bay Spa Team is on hand between 9 am and 9 pm daily to answer your queries and help with your booking.
The Spa, Low Wood Bay, Ambleside Road, Windermere LA23 1LP
Telephone: 015394 39303
This situation will be monitored as legislation changes
- Provided that you give us 48 hrs notice all direct bookings with Broadoaks will be refundable.
- If less than 48 hours’ notice is given then your booking will be transferable, any additional rate fees for a different season may be chargeable.
- Any 3rd party booking vouchers you have not purchased from Broadoaks will have their own cancellation terms that will apply.
Please bear with us regarding this policy we will update it on an ongoing basis.